The Journal of V & V

marriage... the bitter-sweet pill of familiarity and day-to-day life... the end of romance? a new journey of strife?

Friday, August 13, 2004

Siti's last day at SingTel

Today is her last day in SingTel. I'm feeling both happy & sad for her. Happy because I have believed from the very beginning that her talents and capabilities are woefully under-utilized in the role that she's given.

Teaching was so far the most fulfilling job for her I think. Whether it was her times spent with the preschool/day-care Adelfibel or ChongFu Primary. She really had a positive influence on many a rebellious and hyper-active kids. So much so that parents enquire about what or who had caused their kid's change in behaviour. She also has a genuine love and affection for the children. And I'm very certain she's the only such teacher to openly show such love for the children by giving them tight, big hugs and kisses all over their faces, and of course asking for the same in return. Those days, I feel, were her happiest times at work. But then the downside is that the pay was pretty miserable. But now that I look back, at least she was happy... which, to me, is the most important thing that money can't buy.

At ChongFu, she amazingly had the same positive influence on everyone around her. Her peers felt her passion, and her students feared (thanks to my tips) , respected, and liked her. But, alas, the schedule was hectic, and the work pushes the limits of what her poor health can take. To make things worse, not having a recognized teaching certification means that it is more like a contract job rather than a career for her. And, at that time, we couldn't afford the time and money for her to embark on such courses.

So now that she's leaving SingTel, I feel that the time is right. The vibes that she's getting from the management seems to tell her so. And I'm all for it. To put her behind a mic, sitting in call center, isolated from the outside world is, to me, too stifling for a character as lively and bubbly as her. She might as well have joined the prisons! She needs to get out and see some action, although I think this prisons thing warrants a second thought. Can you live without your mobile-phone for the whole working day for, say, the next 5 to 7 years? You can't even carry the phone around, so forget about even reading those SMSes. Think twice my dear.

As for SingTel, I'm sure she had gained so much valuable life experiences. Met so many colourful characters, and I tell you, in her eyes there are no good or bad friends/colleagues, she loves them all. To her, all you people are just unique individuals with very different personalities. She cherished every moment spent with her friends. Everyone has something interesting and likeable about them. So to all those out there who has been genuinely nice to her, I thank you.

So why do I feel sad for her leaving? That's because she really loved this job. And she is pretty good at it, too. Moreover, this job is much less taxing physically. Plus she has so many big sisters who showered her with love and care. I know that TEPL will never be the same again with the livewire gone. Such is the glow that she brings to wherever she goes.

So its goodbye, and farewell to all who matters. Thanks for the memories, good and bad. Au revoir, till we meet again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home